Sunday, April 19, 2009

it's love, that's it.

the gospel is really simple. when asked to analyze all the old rules and laws and regulations, all the should's and shouldn'ts and shalt's and shall not's, Jesus tells the people that really all God desires is that we love Him and love others. That's it.

it's not easy...Jesus says you have to do this with your whole heart, mind, soul, body--loving God and loving people involves the whole self. how often do I not do this? my body language, even, is usually one of impatience...wanting the speaker to get on with it because I want my turn or I want to leave or something.

the cool thing is, Jesus gives me this love! everything I need to enter into this whole "love" thing, Jesus offers me freely.

after church today a bunch of us were sitting around teresa's house, eating her amazing cuisine, and discussing everything from odessa to national geographic to today's sermon (on roman's 14-the main point being, don't judge others. we all have differences, we can be different but still in the same family; it's not about following rules...it's about following JESUS, who is the only one who can judge). elly commented at one point that though it's cool when whole nations convert to christianity (we were discussing how former chinese communist rulers are suddenly believing in Jesus), she is wary when people put their trust in the SYSTEMS to change you rather than the SAVIOUR. It's not about getting the right ideas or laws or truths or beliefs or whatever. The only truth you need to get down is that Jesus changes hearts. real people.

anyways, i was just really encouraged today. I felt this huge weight lift--a self-imposed weight that i've been carrying around, trying to follow my own standards of righteousness, forgetting that Jesus has already imputed me with his perfect obedience, his righteousness.

No comments: